The Manhasset girls volleyball team is certainly one to keep an eye on this fall, as big changes within the team and the conference as a whole have the potential to make it the most interesting season yet.
“The game is always unpredictable, but with new teams moving up from Class B this could turn out to be a very different season,” said Head Coach Jill Rorech.
Rorech has high expectations for her girls, who last year concluded an impressive season in quarter finals last year. Though their run ended with a loss against Wantagh, Rorech is confident that the team’s growth will continue and hopefully lead them to a championship game this year.
The team will be uncharacteristically young this season, with a majority of the returning players being underclassmen. The lone senior, middle hitter Michelle Stratford, is expected to utilize her experience on the court to lead her younger teammates.
Juniors Caroline Kelly, the libero, and Bella Pirone, the setter, are also returning players who will be instrumental in leading the team to victory. The strong defense is projected to be the key to the team’s success.
“Our biggest strengths are definitely in the areas of setting, blocking and defense,” said Rorech. “We need to work on becoming a more powerful hitting team with more aggressive serving.”
As usual, the most challenging conference matches are expected to be against Wantagh, South Side and Lawrence, all of which have forceful senior hitters. After years of building the volleyball program at Manhasset, the team has found itself in the A-I conference, one of the most competitive conferences in the county, making each and every game a must-see.
Coach Rorech and her girls are hopeful that their ambition will ultimately lead them to a championship win. She believes that if everyone works together and rises to their potential, there is nothing the team achieve this season.
“I’m looking for people to step up and play new roles, or for new players to step up and play well,” said Rorech. “We really just need to gel as a team.”
The season kicked off with a win against Lawrence High School and JFK Bellmore. Go Set!
Schedule Of Games
- Sept. 1, Lawrence High School @ Manhasset Jr./Sr. High School 4:30 p.m.
- Sept. 3, John F Kennedy High School @ John F. Kennedy (Bellmore) 10 a.m.
- Sept. 8, South Side High School @ Manhasset Jr./Sr. High School 4:30 p.m.
- Sept. 9, Wantagh High School @ Wantagh 4:30 p.m.
- Sept. 12, Carey High School @ Carey 4:30 p.m.
- Sept. 14, Floral Park Memorial HS @ Floral Park Memorial 4:30 p.m.
- Sept. 16, Lynbrook High School @ Lynbrook 4:15 p.m.
- Sept. 17, Tournament @ Mineola High School 9 a.m.
- Sept. 21, MacArthur High School @ MacArthur 4:30 p.m.
- Sept. 24, Tournament @ Herricks High School 9 a.m.
- Sept. 28, Lawrence High School @ Lawrence High School 4:30p.m.
- Sept. 30, John F Kennedy High School (Bellmore) @ Manhasset Jr./Sr. High School 5 p.m.
- Oct. 5, South Side High School @ South Side 4:15 p.m.
- Oct. 7, Tournament @ Levittown High School 8 a.m.
- Oct. 7, Wantagh High School @ Manhasset Jr./Sr. High School 4:30 p.m.
- Oct. 14, Carey High School @ Manhasset Jr./Sr. High School 4:30 p.m.
- Oct. 19, Floral Park Memorial HS @ Manhasset Jr./Sr. High School 4:30 p.m.
- Oct. 21, Lynbrook High School @Manhasset Jr./Sr. High School 4:15 p.m.
- Oct. 26, MacArthur High School @ Manhasset Jr./Sr. High School 4:30 p.m.