The National Weather Service has put into effect a blizzard warning on Long Island start on Saturday morning, Jan. 23, at 4 a.m. until Sunday, Jan. 24 noon. Coastal Flood Watch is in effect from Saturday night at 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. Sunday morning.
- If you are caught in the storm in a car, make sure the exhaust pipe of the vehicle is clear so that the carbon monoxide does not poison the passengers.
- If you are shoveling snow, take smaller loads and bend with your knees to protect your back.
- Check on elderly neighbors.
- Keep extra wood inside for burning in the fireplace. Wet wood smokes creating a hazardous condition.
- Charge up cellphones and keep list of emergency phone numbers readily accessible.
- Clear fire hydrants of snow so that emergency vehicles can get to water in an emergency. It can save your life.