Small Claims Assessment Filing Ends April 30


    manprReminder to homeowners if their initial property tax grievance was denied by the Assessment Review Commission they are eligible to file an appeal through the County Clerk’s Office. This appeal, called a Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) Petition allows for the homeowner to file a court challenge to the denial. The County filing period deadline for this year is April 30. Individual incorporated village filing periods may vary so be sure to consult with your village directly.

    SCAR Petitions and instructions can be obtained at the County Clerk’s office or on the County Clerk’s website at Petitions can be completed by the homeowner, a paid service or a representative. The completed petition must be accompanied by a $30 filing fee and should include supporting statements, records and other relevant information. The filing fee can be cash, check or money order payable to the “Nassau County Clerk.”

    If you cannot file in person, you may mail your petition. Mailings must be postmarked by April 30. Send your completed original petition and one copy along with the filing fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope to receive your filing receipt to:
    Nassau County Clerk, 240 Old Country Rd. Room 108, Mineola, New York 11501

    After filing with the County Clerk’s office, a copy of your petition has to be served on the Nassau County Assessor, your local school district, and your incorporated village, if applicable. Also, be sure to retain one copy for your own records. Please note that normally the Nassau County Treasurer’s Office would be served a copy, however the Treasurer has waived service this year.

    After filing with the clerk’s office, petitions are immediately forwarded to Supreme Court. You or your representative will be contacted directly by the Supreme Court hearing officer assigned to the case with the date, time and place for your hearing.

    The County Clerk’s office is not involved in scheduling the hearing or providing you with the decision. To check on the status of your case, call the Supreme Court at 516- 493-3130. After your hearing, a copy of the decision will be sent to you or your representative directly from Supreme Court.

    Previous articleManhasset Chamber News
    Next articlePlandome Swears In New Chief
    Elizabeth Johnson is former editor of Manhasset Press and Manhasset Press Magazine. Growing up in nearby Garden City and attending New York University, she is well-versed in the locale and knowledgeable about the beat she covers. Her community involvement is extensive and includes the Manhasset SCA, Kiwanis International, Manhasset Chamber of Commerce, St. Mary’s Church, and various civic and local charitable organizations. Curious by nature, her travels, community service, love of the arts as well as local sports give her the inside view to unique content. During her time at Anton, she has received several awards from the New York Press Association and the Press Club of LI, including the coveted "Best Community Newspaper" several years in a row.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here