Upon their arrival they were met by a 39 year old female and a 2 year old child who they evacuated from the home due to the strong odor of gasoline emanating from the area. As they led the individuals to safety the detached garage exploded and burst into flames.
The Port Washington Fire department assisted by numerous additional departments responded to extinguish the fire. The fire caused was damage to some neighboring homes and property.
A body of a man was discovered deceased inside the garage.
Four fire fighters and one Port Washington Police officer suffered minor injuries. The investigation is ongoing.