Nov. 28, 1920 – Aug. 31, 2014
Eugene J. Sullivan, a long-time Manhasset resident, passed away on Sunday, Aug. 31, 2014. He was married to the late Gloria Sullivan for over 70 years. He is survived by his children Eugene Jr., Edward, Robert, and Elizabeth, 10 grandchildren and three great grandchildren. Their daughter Ann died in infancy.
He was born in Brooklyn in 1920. His family moved to Astoria, Queens when he was four-years-old. He attended Bishop Loughlin High School and then St. John’s University in Brooklyn. Upon his graduation in 1942 he joined the Navy and attended Office Candidate School at the University of Notre Dame. After he was commissioned he served on destroyers both in the Atlantic and Pacific war zones. At the end of World War II he joined the Borden Company as a salesman. Over the next 41 years he was promoted to several executive positions eventually being named chairman and chief executive officer in 1979. He held this position until his retirement in 1987. He also served on the boards of F.W. Woolworth, Warner Lambert, The Bank of N.Y., American Standard and the Atlantic Insurance Companies.
He married his childhood sweetheart, Gloria Roesch, in 1943 at the height of WWII. In 1951 they moved to their first home in Wantagh, N.Y. While raising five children, he found time to begin a life-long commitment to volunteer service. He helped the newly created St. Francis de Chantel Parish serving as a trustee and usher.
Gene and Gloria moved to Manhasset in 1965. The family joined St. Mary’s R.C. Church upon their arrival and were active parishioners up until their deaths. Gene was introduced to the good works of St. Francis Hospital by his wife Gloria who was an active volunteer there. Over the years he served on the hospital’s board including a term as its chairman.
Eugene graduated from St. John’s in 1942 and over the next 65 years served as a trustee, secretary of the board and executive-in-residence, a teaching position he created for senior business majors. He received numerous honors recognizing his dedication to St. John’s, including an honorary doctorate and the St. Vincent de Paul medal.
He served on the Board of Catholic Charities of Rockville Centre and was a Knight of the Sovereign Order of Malta, a Knight of the Holy Sepulcher and a Knight of St. Gregory.