Acting Commissioner of Police Thomas C. Krumpter wants to alert the public that we have seen an increase in luxury cars and SUV’s stolen, in Nassau County over the past few weeks. Luxury vehicles with push button starts and key fobs are again being targeted.
The thefts are occurring at all times of the day and night in which the car has been left unlocked and the key fob left in a vehicle equipped with a push button start.
The following are police recommendations to help safeguard your vehicle:
- Always lock your vehicle, even when it’s parked in your driveway or garage.
- Always take your keys or fob with you.
- Never leave or hide a smart key, valet key, or spare key anywhere in or on your vehicle, no matter where you park it.
- If possible park your vehicle in a locked garage.
- Keep the exterior of homes and driveways well illuminated.
- Close all your vehicle windows completely when parked.
- Also, secure your garage door opener to prevent access to your home.
Most important, we want to remind people when they are leaving or returning to their vehicles, they should be observant of cars and people who appear suspicious. If you
“See Something, Say Something”.
Dial 9-1-1 and be ready to provide the police with as much information as possible regarding the description of the suspicious person or vehicle. License plate numbers are extremely valuable information for the police.