More than 60 residents in Manhasset were evacuated from 20 homes just before midnight on March 5 after a natural gas leak in the area.
Police responded to a 911 call for a gas leak in the vicinity of 124 Chapel Rd. at 11:57 a.m. The Manhasset/Lakeville Fire Department along with National Grid and PSEG were at scene and evacuated residents were taken to the fire department.
National Grid attempted to shut off the valve to stem the flow of gas and PSEG shut power down in the area while repairs were being made.
At approximately 4 a.m. the area was deemed safe and residents were able to return back to their homes. Electrical power was restored, but gas was not.
No injuries were reported.